A charter school is a public school that:
• Open to all students on a space-available basis.
• Independent of the local board of education.
• Managed by a board of trustees who are authorized to supervise and control by the NJ Department of Education.
Who can attend a charter school?
• All students on a space-available basis.
• Preference is given to children of the district of residence.
• Enrollment priority is given to siblings of students currently enrolled in a charter school.
Who may establish a charter school?
• Teaching staff members.
• Parents with children attending the district schools.
• A private entity located within the state in conjunction with teaching staff members and parents.
What is the educational program at a charter school?
• Charter school students are required to meet the same academic performance standards as district school students.